CLC students learn about culture through art for Latinx Heritage Month

Emily Bubel

This fall, the College of Lake County is celebrating Latinx Heritage Month.

As a way to celebrate, the school has hosted many different conferences and events.

One of the events, hosted on October 14th, was a virtual visit to the National Museum of Mexican Art.

Photo via National Museum of Mexican Art.

The museum showcased different types of art by a range of talented local artists, including mediums like sculptures and paintings.

The guide talked to the attendees through each type of art shown, giving them information about each piece.

CLC always plans this particular event in honor of “Dia De Los Muertos,” to remember friends and family who have passed away.

Along with the event planned for “Dia De Los Muertos,” they also had pieces covering COVID-19 and its effects on the Latinx community.

Rodolfo Ruiz-Velasco is the co-chair of the Latino Outreach and Success Committee at the College of Lake County and an advisor for the Latino Alliance club.

Ruiz-Velasco helped with the organization of this event and spoke on the subject.

“The Dia De Los Muertos is a traditional celebration in the Latinx culture to remember family and friends who have died,” said Ruiz-Velasco. “The museum has several pieces related to COVID-19 and what is going on in the world currently.”

Rodolfo Ruiz-Velasco and Theresa Ruiz-Velasco have been taking students to the museum every year for a long time, but due to COVID-19, they have virtually held the event this year.

“It is important that students learn about different cultures and understand different art expressions,” Ruiz-Velasco said.

He also said that the more we learn about our culture, the more understanding we have of the world we live in.

Showing the different types of art in the museum is one way to help the students learn and grow.

The turnout proved to be high, as even more students were able to attend the event.

“This year, in addition to the CLC students, staff, and faculty, 60 honors students from Warren High School and 90 students from Carman Buckner Elementary School attended virtually,” Velasco said.

As the Latinx Heritage month comes to an end, Ruiz-Velasco encourages everyone to continue to educate themselves about the different cultures around us, so we can all shape our own experiences and grow together.