The Student-Run News Site of College of Lake County

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

COVID-19 calls for awareness and maintaining immune system

Over the course of 2020, the COVID-19 pandemic has spread like wildfire throughout America. 

According to the Health Department and Community Health Center of Lake County, Illinois, there has been a rise of 14,000+ cases of people who have contracted coronavirus within the Lake County area in the past several weeks. 

However, 95.8% of those who have contracted the virus in Lake County have survived and recovered fully.

As stated by the Center of Disease Control, the symptoms of COVID-19 are similar to those of the flu. 

The virus is transmitted from person to person by airborne droplets, usually through direct contact with a person carrying the virus who has characteristic symptoms including fever, dry cough, and fatigue.  

More rare symptoms include joint and muscle pain, nasal congestion, headache, conjunctivitis (pink eye), sore throat, diarrhea, loss of taste or smell, rash, and discoloration of the fingers and toes. 

These symptoms have the potential to be intensified by underlying conditions.

In most cases, symptoms can develop gradually over several days. 

Those who are affected by COVID-19 can experience mild to severe symptoms, as well as no symptoms at all, as some carriers of the virus are asymptomatic. 

An individual’s experience with coronavirus can vary from person to person because of age and underlying conditions. 

For example, those who are immunocompromised or aged 60 and above are more vulnerable to contracting COVID-19 because of a weakened immune system. 

People with concomitant diseases, such as hypertension, heart or lung diseases, diabetes, or cancer, are more likely to have a severe course of the disease. 

Most patients recover spontaneously without the need for hospitalization. 

Graphic courtesy of Zoe Rabin

Graphic courtesy of Zoe Rabin

Beyond focusing on just wearing a mask and social distancing, it is also important to live a healthy lifestyle to protect your immune system.  

A healthy lifestyle increases the body’s resistance to infection.

The CDC recommends avoiding touching your eyes, ears, nose, or mouth with your hands. 

Coronavirus, like other respiratory diseases, is spread through these pathways.

Following a healthy diet, including a full sleep cycle, fresh air, eating foods rich in protein, vitamins and minerals, and physical activity will minimize the risk of contracting any virus.