The Student-Run News Site of College of Lake County

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

CLC hosts successful Latinx Heritage Month events

CLC held various events to celebrate Latinx History Month, a time dedicated to recognizing and learning about the contributions of Latinx people and their culture to the United States.

Events for this month included cooking lessons with Chef Don Luis, an educational session about Afro-Latinx people held by Rosa Clemente, and a lesson about the mental health of Latinx college students hosted by psychologists Arellys Aguinaga and Glorivette Albino.

“Every year, we have more events, and they’re always more inclusive,” said Rodolfo Ruiz-Velasco, Latinx Student Outreach and Programs Coordinator. 

The Latinx Outreach and Success Committee is an advisory group that works to tear down the institutional barriers keeping resources from Latinx students, offering support in the forms of programs, training, events, and Spanish bilingual content.

Photo Courtesy of CLC website

Photo Courtesy of CLC website

At cooking lessons with Don Luis, participants were taught how to cook several Mexican dishes. Don Luis immigrated from Mexico at age 15 and is very experienced in the food industry.

The “Can’t Stop Our Blackness” event featured Rosa Clemente, an Afro-Latinx community organizer, producer, journalist, and activist, as she discussed affirming her culture as a black Puerto Rican woman. She also discussed her works which uplift diasporic black communities. 

The Balancing Wellness seminar, hosted by Latinx psychologists Arellys Aguinaga and Glorivette Albino, discussed the struggles that Latinx college students may face during their education, which included coping mechanisms for the same.

Ruiz-Velasco was especially excited about the visit of Erica Sanchez, author of the bestselling book I’m Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter.

“I would like to thank the administration for letting us hold these kinds of events,” said Ruiz-Velasco. “It’s important for Latinx students to feel celebrated when they are attending CLC.”

By celebrating Latinx heritage month, we show our peers that their culture is not just accepted but welcome and appreciated. We demonstrate solidarity, respect, and a willingness to learn about cultures other than our own. 

“Not just Latinx heritage month, but all heritages. Not just Latinx culture, but every culture should be celebrated, so we can create a better place for everyone.” Ruiz-Velasco said.