The Student-Run News Site of College of Lake County

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

Why you should go see CLC’s “The Mountaintop” play

Today, on February 23,  CLC Theatre will be reimagining the night before Martin Luther King’s assassination in Katori Hall’s “The Mountaintop,” a production co-directed by Rich Criag and Lamaiya Lancaster.

In 1968, Martin Luther King Jr.’s last day on earth was spent in Memphis, Tennessee, where he continued the idea of a “poor people’s campaign.” He delivered his speech, “I’ve Been to the Mountaintop,” where he stated that he would continue his efforts till the end.

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Courtesy of Voices Film and Television

“The Mountaintop” details Martin Luther King Jr. coming back to his hotel room at the end of the night, discussing his worries and fears. In the play, he speaks to a fictional character named Camae, who helps him navigate his troubles.

Camae is a maid who comes to the King and helps him explore his achievements and unfinished dreams. Through this, the audience receives a more introspective look into Dr. King’s mind.

People view King as a perfect person, someone who has no faults. In this play, King humanized him for him to be judged in the good, bad, and ugly. Similar to how a person can be loved even through their faults.

“The Mountaintop” utilizes many symbols, such as socks with holes in them, his smelly feet, or the infidelities he had with other women. These details show King that he was just as human as everyone else. Thus, it makes an interesting interpretation that can even be inspiring to the audience.

In modern times, “The Mountaintop” plays an important part in American history and culture. MLK’s influence on life is unparalleled, and his dream has defined the future of the United States permanently.

This play runs from February 23–March 2, with prices ranging from $8 for CLC students, teens, and seniors to $10 for the general public. Grab your tickets now on the James Lumber Center website and go see this 100-minute, interesting take on King’s life!