The Student-Run News Site of College of Lake County

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

Students use study spots to improve academic performance

The quiet study area is located on the second floor of the library. (Mia Danca)

The time is finally here! As the semester wraps up for the wonderful College of Lake County (CLC) community, there are only a few more days to wrap up the many courses offered!

Whether it is biology, psychology, mathematics, or more, studying for finals is crucial. In order to finish strong this semester, check out some of the best study spots on campus, along with a few tips and tricks that have proven to be helpful and have made it through the many years of finals!

When surveying potential study spots around the Grayslake campus, it is important to keep three things in mind: the amount of foot traffic, proper lighting, and background noise. All of these components can be potential distractions and make studying a less pleasurable experience.

As you pick the perfect location for studying, it is important to consider how many other students will be passing through the area. Although we love how lively the CLC community is, it can be distracting if there are large groups gathering, chatting, or walking past. Keep in mind how the number of passersby may affect the quality of your studying.

Next on the list is having a well-lit environment, preferably with some natural light. When using electronics or squinting due to poor lighting, it can cause headaches and eye strain. If you are using an electronic device, be sure to keep a medium-to-low brightness on your device and choose an area close to a window or skylight to provide ample lighting.

This small study area, tucked away on the first floor of the T-wing. (Mia Danca)

Studying is a very personalized experience; some may prefer music, silence, or studying with others. If listening to music or others around you suits your study style, there are many classical music or coffee house playlists to choose from on streaming platforms.

If you prefer to study in silence, this is important to consider when choosing a study spot. There are private study rooms and a silent homework area in the back of the library for those who prefer a more peaceful environment. Noise-canceling headphones are also a great addition to studying materials if you prefer a different spot on campus.

Finding the perfect study space is only a small portion of the battle when it comes to finals. This time of year can be extremely stressful and draining; take small breaks, a short walk, or some fresh air throughout your studying session.

When in doubt, reach out to your professors to gain guidance. Good luck, Lancers!