The Student-Run News Site of College of Lake County

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

NFL playoffs: the final two

The NFL season is finally coming to a close. On Sunday, January 24, the four remaining teams competed for a spot in the Super Bowl.

In the NFC Championship Game, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers faced the Green Bay Packers.

This is a faceoff a lot of NFL fans were anticipating. We saw two of the greatest NFL quarterbacks go head to head.  Tom Brady for the Buccaneers and Aaron Rodgers for the Packers.

Both teams came prepared and gave the show NFL fans were anticipating.

The entire time, the game was up in the air; either team could win it.

Tom Brady completed 20 out of 36 passes in this matchup, obtained 280 passing yards, and threw three touchdowns.  However, he also threw three interceptions.  On the other hand, Aaron Rodgers completed 33 out of 48 passes, threw for 346 yards, three touchdowns, and only one interception.

It is clear to see Aaron Rodgers had the statistical advantage over Tom Brady.  Nevertheless, many other mistakes were made by the Packers, especially when it came to their defense.

These mistakes are what ultimately led to the Buccaneers’ victory with a score of 31-26.

The Buccaneers are off to the Super Bowl for the first time since 2002. Many NFL fans believe this is due to the team’s new quarterback, Tom Brady.

Now, the Buccaneers are going to the Super Bowl, but who will they be facing.

After the Bucs/Packers game, there was a championship matchup between the Kansas City Chiefs and the Buffalo Bills.

This game was not as close as the game before it.  The Chiefs most definitely dominated this AFC championship game.

In the first quarter, things looked somewhat bright for the Bills.  They were able to get up on the Chiefs with a score of 9-0.

However, due to the Chiefs’ skill, they could come back and trample the Bills.  By the fourth quarter, the Chiefs were winning by 23 points. They finally beat the Bills 38-24.

The quarterback, Patrick Mahomes, finished by completing 29 out of 38 passes, 325 passing yards, and three touchdowns.

The opposing quarterback for the Bills, Josh Allen, paled in comparison.  He threw for 287 yards and two touchdowns but also threw a crucial interception.

Chiefs wide receiver, Tyreek Hill, had 172 receiving yards and nine catches.  While Chiefs tight end, Travis Kelce, caught 13 passes for 118 yards and two touchdowns.

It’s clear to see how the Chiefs dominated this game against the Buffalo Bills.

Now the Super Bowl matchup is set, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Kansas City Chiefs.  A matchup between two great quarterbacks and two great teams.

This is what Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes had to say about this matchup,

“The Super Bowl is the Super Bowl,” Mahomes said on Monday. “Being able to go up against one of the greatest, if not the greatest quarterback of all time…it’s going to be a great experience for me.”

The game will take place on Sunday, February 7.

Are we going to see the Chiefs win their 2nd Super Bowl in a row?  Or will Tom Brady carry his team to their first Super Bowl win in 19 years?