The Student-Run News Site of College of Lake County

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

Chicago Bears: what’s the reason for the season?

Over the past several weeks, we have seen a feeble performance from the Chicago Bears.

In the first several games of the season, many Bear’s fans were excited due to the performance they were seeing.

The Bears were 5-1, and it seemed like nothing would be able to get in the way of their path to the playoffs.

Yet, as they have done in previous years, they are starting to let fans down once more.

Again, the Bears had a 5-1 record, and now, after the past four weeks, they are sporting a miserable 5-5 record.

They lost four games in a row, and the disappointment among fans is out of this world.

They first lost to the Los Angeles Rams on Oct. 26th, with 24-10.

Nick Foles, the quarterback that all the Bears fans were hyped for, threw 261 yards, zero touchdowns, and two interceptions. These numbers are disappointing, to say the least.

They lost the next game against the New Orleans Saints on Nov. 1 st, with 26-23.

Due to the score being tied at the end of the 4th quarter, this game was taken to overtime, where the Bears lost by a field goal.

Nick Foles ended up throwing for 272 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception.

While those aren’t fantastic stats, they’re better than the previous week.

The Bears then went on to lose to the Tennessee Titans on Nov. 8th, with 24-17.

The Bears have a solid track record of doing average or even terrible in the beginning three-quarters of a game but then doing fantastic in the fourth quarter.

That is precisely what happened in this game; the Bears scored a total of zero points in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd quarters, but then went on to achieve their only 17 points of the game in the 4th quarter.

In this game, Nick Foles threw for 335 yards and two touchdowns.

Lastly, this past week on November 16th, the Bears faced another loss against the previously struggling Minnesota Vikings, who at the time only had a record of 3-5.

They ended up losing this game 19-13. Foles ended up throwing for 106 yards and one interception.

His performance was so weak that the Bears decided to bring in their 3rd string quarterback, Tyler Bray.

Bray ended up throwing for 18 yards, only completing one out of five passes.

Many fans were left wondering, after this performance, how Tyler Bray even made it into the NFL.

So, what is the reason for this sudden change of gameplay from the Chicago Bears?

Precalc professor John Thomas filled in on this situation:

“The past weeks show me a couple of things. It shows me that the Bears have not drafted

for offense. Their defense is great, and they have drafted and done their scouting on free agents

really well defensively,” he said, “…but other teams, you look at their rosters, and you can say,

‘Okay, second string, even third string, they have guys that can step up’…the Bears do not have

that. So to me, the biggest issue is the draft.”

This seems to be an argument many Bears fans are riding on. The reason for their weak performances is due to their offense and who they chose to draft.

This may as well be their most potent argument because it is true.

For example, Mitchell Trubisky, the current QB of the Bears was drafted back in 2017.

The Bears general manager, Ryan Pace, ended up trading large draft picks to get Trubisky, and thus far, Trubisky has not proven his worth.

Thomas also shared another problem the Bears may potentially face.

“I think the second problem is the offense scheme. Their strength is pass blocking.

They’re better at blocking for the pass, than they are blocking for the run. Why not scheme

around that, rather than making Foles stand in the pocket for 5, 6, 7, 8, whatever seconds?

Quick-release, quick passes, use the tight ends, they’re not doing that. They’re running the plays

as if their offensive line can sustain a block; they can’t.”

Their offensive line is a constant issue with the Chicago Bears. The players are barely average, and the chosen scheme does not work well at all, as evident by their recent performances.

This was the same issue the Bears had with the previous quarterback Jay Cutler.

While he wasn’t a terrible quarterback, his offensive line made it so that he couldn’t complete

passes and would quickly get sacked.

It is clear to see what the reason behind the previous Bears losses is; fans can only hope that Ryan Pace steps it up and drafts some good offensive players in the future.