Opportunities rise for CLC drama students

Chris Roehrich

area are hiring again.
The CLC theatre department has been unable to create full productions in the last year due to COVID-19 proximity rules. 

One CLC theater student, Lorena, described how she was able to pursue theater despite the lockdown regulations.
“Improv outside of class [to express my] creative side is something I enjoy,” Lorena said. “I’m not [currently participating in events] for the CLC [theater department], but I do extracurriculars, and I feel that’s an important part of life.”
Another CLC theater student, Brittany, described how COVID-19 restrictions temporarily cut some of the essential roles and jobs of the theater due to COVID.

“Roles like crew may have not been needed until later or for some at all,” said Brittany. “Makeup was [also] lessened.”
Kevin, a CLC theater alumnus, gave advice to students looking to pursue theater.
“If you are seeking the performance world, you can’t limit yourself to just your education,” Kevin said.

Image courtesy of City-Data.com

Image courtesy of City-Data.com

While CLC theater was shut down throughout the pandemic, other local opportunities were available if students were willing to look.
Talent and casting agencies like 4 Star Casting and ExtraOrdinary Casting have helped steer many hits from the silver screen, such as Parks and Recreation (NBC) and Fargo (FX) and some recent films like The Trial of the Chicago 7 and Chi-raq.

Jessica Needham, a 4 Star Casting leader, expanded upon these extracurricular opportunities.
“Yes, the show must go on,” she said. “Cliches aside, we encourage students of theatre.”

She added that the actors are “not always professionals” and that pursuing opportunities like 4 Star Casting is a great way to get into the industry.

Needham also said that she encourages theatre students to apply for projects proactively and added how one actor came to 4 Star Acting searching for help.

“He wasn’t getting help from an agent,” she said. “But he [completed] auditions and put in the work. With that, he stood out to the director and crew, and [he] was signed onto FOX’s network hit Empire.” 

Needham had one final piece of advice for all theater students: “Have the right headshots and be on time. You’ll go far”.

4 Star Casting is currently searching for extras in several film and television projects such as Chicago Fire and The Big Leap, an opportunity CLC drama students should consider.

Image courtesy of Yesofcorsa

Image courtesy of Yesofcorsa