The Student-Run News Site of College of Lake County

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

The Chronicle

Lady Lancers Basketball gets off to a hot start

Michael Storms
Freshman, Chloe Sisco, taking a three pointer.

The Lancers Women’s Basketball Team played their first home game of the season this past Tuesday, November 7th.

After starting the season 2-0 through tournament wins in Escanaba, Michigan, the girls returned home to kick off their new season to friends, families, and fellow students.

With only three returning players from last season and a second-year head coach, questions were in the air about how a nearly brand new team built from the ground up would perform.

Needless to say, all doubts were silenced, and the Lady Lancers delivered.

Freshman, Mariya Sisco and sophomore, Syndi Hill, both provided double doubles in points and rebounds. Meanwhile, freshman Chloe Sisco, led the team with 19 points, 18 of them coming from three pointers, aiding the Lancers to a convincing 73-37 win over the Wilbur Wright Rams, behind a supportive crowd throughout the game.

At one point early in the fourth quarter, the largest lead margin of the night was 45.

Sophomore, Sydni Hill, preparing to take a free throw. (Michael Storms)

“Seeing the crowd at the home opener really makes me happy, given the fact that last year we had like 4 people in our crowd at every game,” said Hill. “I’m really excited to see what the crowds will look like later in the season and how much support we’ll receive because of what we’re doing on the court.”

This victory propelled the Lancers Women’s Basketball Team to 3-0, the same amount of wins that this team had all of last season.

The returning sophomores said that building chemistry was a priority because the team has seven new faces and a new head coach, Tanner Morris.

Coach Morris said that he is off to a “hot” start in only his second year; however, he gives his praise and success to the girls on the court.

“Having a full roster of players rather than five girls playing 40 minutes makes a big difference and is the main reason we are where we are now,” Morris said.

Morris said that this is his first full recruiting class here at the College of Lake County.

“I was very fortunate with who I was able to get and comfortable with all 10 girls on the roster, knowing all of them can step in or start when we need [them],” Morris said.

Hill said that the team feels the same way about their dynamics with their head coach.

“Mo doesn’t give up on us or act like a game is over at any point,” Hill said. “We could be up by 100, and he’d still be on us for the little things, which shows his dedication and that he always cares.”

Sisco shared that the new team clicked from the start.

“We made a group chat in the beginning of summer, and it was like I’d known these girls all my life,” Sisco said. “We’re so good at helping each other learn, build, and take one another’s constructive criticism.”

Freshman, Mariya Sisco, moving past a defender. (Micheal Storms)

Hill said that they know how “to flip a switch” and play seriously on the court.

“But outside of practice and games, it’s honestly just fun.” Hill said. “We got to know and love each other before we put a ball in our hands.”

Sisco said that keeping up the energy and working as a team are key when it comes to ways to win the season.

“Just using each other as stepping stones and building off of each other is going to help us get better every time.”

Hill encourages all students and fans to follow the team account on social media, such as their Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok pages.

“Keep a lookout for the Lady Lancers,” Cisco said.

The women’s basketball team plays five straight home games; go support your local CLC Winter Sports!