Student Activities Welcomes New Director

Zach Clark, new director of Student Activities and Inclusion.

Charles Smith, Staff Reporter

On July 18th, CLC welcomed Zach Clark as the new director of Student Activities & Inclusion (SAI). Clark has more than fourteen years of student affairs experience which he is passionate about bringing to CLC.

After graduating from Indiana University of Pennsylvania with a master’s degree in student affairs in higher education, Clark stayed at IUP, where he worked as Director of Student Activities and Assessment.

Clark seeks to promote his two passions: student equity and diversity. Big-picture goals include rebuilding the team, refreshing SAI, reigniting campus life, and making CLC fun.

“I don’t want this to be a bookbag campus,” said Clark, who seeks to provide more opportunities for students to stay on campus when they’re not in class.

By gathering data and building reports of student development, Clark hopes to showcase the impact of SAI and demonstrate the value of student affairs programs.

Clark says SAI’s mission is to unite engagement, entertainment, and education. “I’ll even throw in a fourth E,” said Clark. “Empowerment.”

Clark wants students to “become the commanders of their own educational experiences” by helping them to develop leadership, communication, and conflict resolution skills, as well as helping students to run clubs and organizations.

“Take as much good as possible,” said Clark. “College should be a value-added experience.”

Student center events, coffee house events, and trips off campus are some of the many ways SAI can help students get involved and become a part of their own learning.

Committed to diversity and inclusion, SAI is hosting a Latinx heritage event from September 15th to October 15th, as well as Lake County’s first social justice program in the spring. Programs are also available for African-American, undocumented, and LGBTQ+ students.

When he’s not at work, you can probably find Clark hiking, biking, or enjoying a craft beer. He’s a fan of Star Wars and Marvel movies, with some of his favorites being Doctor Strange 2 and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.